Friday, February 11, 2011

A Special Valentine's Day treat

For Valentine’s Day I wanted to cook and write about this wonderful recipe for Oysters. As you know Oysters are a natural aphrodisiac and if you did not know that Oysters are a natural aphrodisiac-well you do know now.  It is called “Oyster-Oyster Stew” and it was published in the NY Times on January 7, 1997.  I have made it many times, my old low-fat way with skim milk and I wanted to try it with fat-free half and half.  It also uses Pernod or Ricard , a  licorice flavored liqueur.   Well Cupid is not on my side.  First of all the Pernod and Ricard are both really expensive.  I was told that I can substitute an Anisette liqueur, if I intend to use the liqueur only for cooking, which is sweeter and lower in alcohol than other anise-flavored liqueurs and has the flavor of black licorice.  But I also can’t find oysters.  I do remember buying them, already shucked, in the fish department of my local supermarket, but they do not have them….so I will continue my hunt for the 2 main ingredients and will update this blog once I have all the ingredients.  Meanwhile if you have any suggestions on where I can get shucked oysters, please let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment