Friday, January 7, 2011

Low Calorie/Low Sodium Chicken Adobo

I wanted to write an entire blog on why I am interested in blogging about lower calorie/lower sodium versions of wonderful recipes. I was going to reference the popularity of the recent movie “Julia and Julie” along with the popularity of Television chefs like Emeril Lagasse, Rachael Ray, Bobby Flay etc.

However, when I saw this FaceBook Post about a Chicken Adobo recipe on the NYTimes web page ( http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/09/magazine/09Food-t-000.html?_r=3&src=ISMR_HP_LO_MST_FB ), I decided to jump in and try to make a lower calorie/lower sodium version that will taste good. So I will save the “why” blog for another day. Basically, the unskinned version of the recipe is half the calories and about 68% lower in sodium than the original.

Whichever version you decide to use my friends you must try this recipe. It is cooking right now and my house smells delicious!

Calorie Count for Chicken Adobo

Calories - 4 Servings

source CalorieKing.com

1 Cutup Chicken

with skin

w/o skin

2 Thighs

396

164

2 Breasts

388

248

2 Wings

218

74

2 DrumSticks

236

148

1 Cup Coconut Milk

355

148

per serving

398

196

Sodium

Kikkoman

House of Tsang

1/4 Cup Soy Sauce

7,255

2,350

per serving

1,814

587

4 comments:

  1. Are you going to broil the chicken at the end?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes it is done cooking and I will broil it later tonight. Will let you know how it comes out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was delicious! Really different taste.

    ReplyDelete