Wednesday, January 19, 2011

SuperBowl Time

What else can we eat during the SuperBowl, but Chili.  In the past I have made 2 Alarm Chili  from a mix.  It is not bad,.  Actually it is quite dull!  Recently I modified Rachael Ray's Chunky Chicken and Chorizo Chili below and it was dee-lish (as Rachael would say)!

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/rachael-ray/chunky-chicken-and-chorizo-chili-recipe/index.html


The original recipe which feeds 6 calls for 3/4 pound of chorizo, which has 1548 calories or 258 calories per serving and 2 pounds of ground chicken (almost 6 ounces per serving) which is about 285 calories per serving.

I really only wanted to feed two so I used one half pound ground turkey at 160 calories per serving and one spicy chicken sausage (about 90 calories per serving), and I saved almost 300 calories.  I followed the rest of the recipe, which included one can of red beans, a bottle of beer and one half of a 28 ounce can of diced tomatoes.  I also used Pam Spray with about a teaspoon of olive oil (saved another 50 calories per serving) for the browning.  I used one tablespoon of chili powder and 3/4 tablespoon of ground cumin.  Because I have to watch my sodium intake, I did not add any salt since the chicken sausage already has 480 mg of sodium. With these substitutions, you will have an awesome SuperBowl Chili that won't tip the scale the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment