Saturday, April 9, 2011

How Low Can You Go - Limbo Low Limbo High

Sometimes when I am working on these recipes I feel that I am dancing the Limbo.  For example, I read Clean Eating Magazine which has very interesting recipes, but they are not always low in calories.  My daughter recently made Moroccan Chickpea Salad from the March 2011 issue of Clean Eating Magazine which has 254 calories in a 1 cup serving.  Well I don't know about you but a 1 cup serving would not even begin to fill me up, so I decided to see "How Low I Can Go" revamping this one.

As you look over the ingredients, you will notice that I am chopping the vegetables. Chopping softer vegetables like these is an easy job if you own an onion chopper like the one below.  It not only chops onions, it does a great job on garlic, cucumbers, radishes and baby carrots.  Just don't use it on tomatoes or lettuce. 

Ingredients for about 3 large servings:
Salad
2- 3 green leaf lettuce leaves chopped
1/2 cup baby carrots chopped
3 green onions, thinly sliced
3 radishes chopped
1 kirby cucumber chopped
2 handfuls grape tomatoes
1/2 cup canned chick peas
Sprinkling of fat free feta cheese
For the Dressing mix together the following
1 1/2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp cumin
1/8 tsp lite salt
1/8 tsp fresh ground black pepper
pinch cayenne pepper

Assemble the salad ingredients in a large bowl and pour the dressing over.
                              
Calories per serving about 125 based on the following calorie count:   
1/2 cup chick peas 100
1 1/2 tbsp oil 150 calories
4oz grape tomatoes 30
4 oz baby carrots 40
1 oz fat free feta cheese 60

No comments:

Post a Comment