Thursday, April 14, 2011

Simply Brisket

I have been looking at the Passover recipes on various blogs and the brisket recipes are really complicated.  Here is my version of Passover Brisket which has 5 ingredients.  It is better made the day before the Seder and allowed to steep in the cooking juices overnight.  Also doing this makes it easier to skim off the excess fat.

When you buy the brisket get pieces that are not much bigger than 2 1/2 pounds each.  I have found that using 5 or 6 pound briskets produces tough results.  For this Passover I have purchased 2 2 3/4 pound briskets.  Use a shallow roasting pan that is only large enough to hold the meat.  Line the roasting pan with aluminum foil.  Wash and pat the meat dry and put into the pan.  In a small bowl, for each brisket,  mix together 1 entire package of onion soup mix 1 tablespoon mustard powder, 1 teaspoon garlic powder and 2 tablespoons of olive oil (gotta keep this as healthy as possible) so that it forms a thick paste.  Spread the paste over the first brisket, prepare a second batch the same way and spread it over the second brisket.  Tightly cover the briskets with a second piece of aluminum foil. If you have prepared this a day or two before the Seder put the pan into the refrigerator overnight.  For this year I am hosting the second night.  I will prepare the meat mixture on Sunday night, refrigerate and cook the brisket on Monday.  I'm not sure if the onion soup mixture acts as a marinade, but I have found that the brisket is tastier when I do it this way.  When you are ready to cook the brisket, place it in a 325 degree oven for 2 1/2 to three hours.  Let the brisket cool before slicing. Skim the excess fat off the sauce and serve.  Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. Miriam, tks for this good one! I'll try it!
    1 brisket serves how many persons?
    Happy Pessach!
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sue, Thank you for your comment. I can usually get 4-6 large slices out of a 2 1/2 pound brisket. Happy Passover to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please make this again... Soon. In say a month or so?

    ReplyDelete