Sunday, May 8, 2011

A True 30 Minute Meal

First of all I need to apologize to all my fans for not updating this blog sooner.  Passover came and went and there were really no new and exciting recipes to write about.  Now that things have calmed down I am ready to share one of my favorite true 30 minute easy, low-calorie meals.  One problem that I have with the TV cooking shows is that I can never complete even one of dishes in 30 minutes, much less an entire meal.  Sometimes I don't even have all the ingredients. However, this dish  can be made with what I consider staples.  I usually keep several varieties of Chicken Sausage (I get the lowest calorie per serving I can find) in my freezer along with different frozen vegetables that I have bought on sale.  You will also need one onion, a clove of garlic and left over wine (I used white) or beer.  The original recipe for Sausage, Potato and Green Bean Stew called for 2 Italian style sausages and 2 small red potatoes per person, one onion, 1 package of whole green beans, 1tsp dried thyme and 1/2 cup water.  For my dish I used 2 Chicken Sausages (any style) per person.  I browned the sausages on my non-stick pan, minced the garlic, cut the onion into eighths and added those to the pan.  I let everything brown for a few minutes.  I placed frozen spinach (you can use any frozen green vegetable) on top.  If you have potatoes wash and cut them into quarters and place them on top of the spinach.  In a measuring cup mix together 1/2 cup of white wine, 1/2 cup of water, 1/2 tsp thyme and 1/2 tsp cumin.  Pour  this mixture into the pot, cover, bring to a boil and then simmer for 20 minutes.  Calorie wise the Chicken Sausage has about 90 calories for a 2.4 ounce link, and three ounces of red potato has about 60 calories, so if you have two sausages and one potato it is less than 250 calories per serving. The cumin and white wine gives the dish a wonderfully smoky flavorful taste that the original recipe was missing.

No comments:

Post a Comment